An Iranian court has given two death sentences to a Tajik man convicted of carrying out a deadly gun attack at the Shahcheragh Shrine in the southern city of Shiraz.
The judiciary announced on September 21 that the Shiraz Revolutionary Court convicted Rahmatollah Nouruzof, described as a member of the Sunni extremist group Islamic State, on two counts.
It said Nouruzof had been charged of "waging war against God," "corruption on Earth" and "conspiring against national security" for killing two people and wounding seven in the August 13 attack – the second of its kind within a year.
Initial reports cited four deaths and at least seven injuries in the latest assault.
The judiciary said that two other defendants in the case were sentenced to five years in prison and expulsion from Iran.
In October 2022, 13 people were reported killed and 30 others wounded in a shooting at the shrine that was claimed by the Islamic State group.
The Islamic Republic is facing widespread domestic and international condemnation for a surge in executions this year, which human rights activists say are usually carried out following "sham" trials and forced confessions.